Contact Us Today 206.623.3352

Immigration Resources

How Can I Help My Parents Get a Green Card?

Posted by Kripa Upadhyay | Oct 26, 2021

How Can I Help My Parents Get a Green Card?

Family is a fundamental part of our lives. When we move or immigrate across countries, not having our family or parents can feel lonely and disconnected from our roots. The United States offers U.S Citizens the opportunity to apply for their parents to become lawful permanent residents or green card holders, so they have the ability to live in the United States with their immigrated family. 

There are a few options for U.S. citizens to take that can help their relatives gain legal access into the country permanently, but it can be challenging to understand the process alone. Unlike with citizenship, there come some critical pieces of information that may cause your parents not to receive a green card. Discussing your options with an experienced immigration lawyer can provide you with information about the process and what you'll need to gather for your parents. 

What Can I Do to Help My Parents Receive a Green Card?

The United States takes immigration and receiving green cards seriously, so the process to acquire one can come with multiple complex steps that may feel confusing and a bit overwhelming without the help of a legal representative. However, there are a few important actions you can take to help smooth the application process. 


In order for you to apply for your parents to receive a green card, you'll need to be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. Under U.S. immigration laws, parents are defined as immediate relatives. This means that there is an unlimited number of green cards given out each year and that there is no waiting list to stop the application process.

Household Income

Similar to other immigration requirements, the United States must see evidence of your household income for your parents to qualify for lawful permanent residency. You must show that you have sufficient income or assets to support your parents at 125% of the U.S. poverty guidelines. This also includes being able to support yourself or your family as well as your parents.

Petition for Alien Relatives

Once you have the information that shows you are a U.S. citizen with a sufficient amount of income to support your parents, you can file a Form I-130, or Petition for Alien Relative, issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form works to prove your citizenship and the relationship between your parents. 

Adjustment of Status

Suppose your parents already have a visa and are currently in the United States. In that case, they can seek an adjustment of status, changing their temporary nonimmigrant status into a green card with certain conditions and qualifications. 

Talk with your immigration attorney for more detailed information strictly for your case. Everyone is different and needs to provide a certain amount of evidence for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to accept your green card application. 

Contact a Dependable Washington Immigration Lawyer at Orbit Law

Once you apply for your parents to become lawful permanent residents, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will inform you whether they were accepted or denied the green card. If they are denied, the USCIS will provide information about the reason for their rejection, and you may have the chance to appeal the decision. 

Orbit Law has the tools and resources you need to have a successful immigration process. Our experience will help to guide you through the process and answer any of your questions. To make clients feel comfortable, we provide our services in multiple languages, including  English, Hindi, Nepali, Punjabi, Spanish, and Urdu. 

Call (206) 623-3352 or fill out our contact form to discuss your best options with one of our team members. 

About the Author

Kripa Upadhyay

Kripa Upadhyay Founder/Attorney [email protected] EDUCATION Seattle University School of Law, Seattle, WA, Juris Doctor (JD)  May 2007 ADMISSIONS Washington State Bar Association: Admitted May 2008 U.S District Court for the Eastern District of Washington: Admitted 2009 U.S...