Contact Us Today 206.623.3352

Immigration Resources

Can I Immigrate to the U.S. as an Engineer?

Posted by Kripa Upadhyay | Oct 12, 2021

Can I Immigrate to the U.S. as an Engineer?

In the United States, one of the leading factors of growth is technological innovation. Through new ideas and discovery, the country has continued to foster and promote individuals of scientific study. Engineering allows people to study integrated scientific principles with a focus on practical research. Often, the studies provide systems and processes that create new ways of approaching questions and problems. 

For foreign national engineers interested in pursuing a career and life in the United States, acquiring a temporary or permanent visa is essential to their future. While this process can be unfamiliar and challenging, having an immigration lawyer by your side can help you through the process. You will need multiple pieces of information and required documents to apply for the visa, so having a legal representative guide you through which pieces of evidence are essential can help speed up and streamline the process. 

What's the Difference Between a Temporary and Permanent Residency Visa?

There are many types of visa applications that you can apply for, but knowing which one is right for you can feel overwhelming. Engineers are welcomed in the United States, as well as many other types of scientists and researchers. The pursuit of knowledge is welcomed, and the first step to your future within the U.S. is figuring out how long you'll be staying in the country.

Temporary Residency Visa

If you are not interested in permanently staying in the country or gaining citizenship, a temporary visa — also known as a nonimmigrant visa — is the perfect fit for you. Temporary residency visas allow individuals to stay within the United States for a fixed amount of time while employed. There are a few main employment-based nonimmigrant opportunities that may work for you, including: 

  • H Visas: These are the most common temporary work visas in the United States. The H-1B and H-1B1 visas are for professional jobs that need a degree from a university in the jobs field of work. They also require an employer sponsor. 
  • O-1 Visa: For those with extraordinary abilities and achievements, you can use the O-1 visa to demonstrate your skills and how they can benefit the industry and economy in the United States. 
  • L-1A or L-1B Visas: For these two types of visas, the current company that you work with must have an office located in the United States that you are transferring in. 

When you're only planning on staying in the states for a few months to a couple of years, temporary residency visas are the perfect option for you. After the time period is up, you're able to go back to your home country without difficulties. 

Permanent Residency Visa

When a person has lawful permanent residency, or a Green Card, they can stay in the United States without a time limit. Many individuals seeking to become U.S. citizens will start with a permanent residency visa. Several employment-based visas allow immigrants to gain permanent residency in the United States. Below are three examples of employment-based visas that may be available to you as an engineer:

  • EB-1 Visa: The first visa option is designated for people with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, business, arts, education, or athletics.
  • EB-2 Visa: For the second category, individuals who hold an advanced degree, an equivalent to an advanced degree, or have exceptional abilities can file for this visa. 
  • EB-3 Visa: The third visa option is for skilled workers, professionals, or other workers in a specific industry. 

For an individual to immigrate into the United States, they'll need to have the right qualifications or job responsibilities. If you qualify for any of these visa options, you can also seek to acquire visas for your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 too. There are many benefits to a visa in the United States, so talking with an immigration lawyer about your options is beneficial. 

Contact Orbit Law for Experienced Immigration Lawyers Today

Each fiscal year, the U.S. has 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas available for foreign nationals as well as their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 who wish to immigrate to the United States based on their occupational skills. The process of filing for a visa is time-consuming and filled with complex steps. Our team at Orbit Law has over ten years of experience working with individuals in immigration law to make sure they have a smooth process. 

We offer accessible and comfortable communication by providing our services in English, Hindi, Nepali, Punjabi, Spanish, and Urdu. Our main goal is to help guide you through the process and gather the information you need to have a successful immigration into the United States. 

Call (206) 623-3352 or fill out our contact form to speak with a team member about how we can help you.

About the Author

Kripa Upadhyay

Kripa Upadhyay Founder/Attorney [email protected] EDUCATION Seattle University School of Law, Seattle, WA, Juris Doctor (JD)  May 2007 ADMISSIONS Washington State Bar Association: Admitted May 2008 U.S District Court for the Eastern District of Washington: Admitted 2009 U.S...